Detroit is the largest city in the midwestern state of Michigan. Near Downtown, the neoclassical Detroit Institute of Arts is famed for the Detroit Industry Murals painted by Diego Rivera, and inspired by the city’s ties to the auto industry, giving it the nickname “Motor City.” Detroit is also the birthplace of Motown Records, whose chart-topping history is on display at their original headquarters, Hitsville U.S.A.
- How much is the total cumulative hotel tax?
Occupancy Tax – 9%, Sales Tax – 6%
- How much is the F&B tax? 6%
- How much is the average F&B gratuity? 18 – 22%
- How many miles from the airport to downtown? 21 miles
- Is there public transportation, such as a bus or subway available? No
- How much does the public transportation cost? N/A
- What is the shuttle bus fare from the airport to downtown? Skoot — $23 one way
- What is the taxi fare from airport to downtown? $45-$50
- How many daily flights out of airport? One of the busiest airports in the country. 1000+
- Is the airport a hub for any carrier? Delta
- What are the major carriers serving airport?
Air Canada, AirFrance, Alaska, American, Delta, Frontier, JetBlue, Lufthansa, Royal Jordanian, Southwest, Spirit, United, Virgin Atlantic
- How many committable hotel rooms downtown on peak night?
3,000 depends on time of year.
- How many committable hotel rooms downtown on peak within walking distance to convention center?
1800 within 4 blocks
- How many headquarter hotel properties?
Largest is Marriott 1298 rooms, closest is Crowne Plaza 367 rooms (Crowne is adding more rooms, should be up to 850 by 2021, more details to come).
- How many rooms available on peak night at the largest headquarter property? 1,000
- How many total gross square feet of exhibit space at Convention Center? 723,000
- How much of this exhibit space is contiguous? 623,000
- How many total gross square feet of meeting space is available at the Convention center? 180,000
- How many meeting rooms does the convention center have? 100
- How big is the largest meeting room? 40,000
- How many ballrooms does the convention center have? 3
- How big is the largest ballroom? 40,000
- When was the last renovation or expansion? 2015
- When is a future renovation/expansion scheduled?
Complete $280 M renovation in 2015
- Is there free Wi-Fi at the convention center? Yes
- Is there an exclusive in-house Electrical provider? Yes, Conti-Hi Tec
- Is there an exclusive in-house AV provider? No, Premiere is preferred
- Is there an exclusive in-house decorator? No
- Is there an exclusive in house caterer? Centerplate
- Is the convention center a union property? Yes
- If union property, can you provide estimated pricing list? Yes
- Here are a list of labor unions with whom planners will be required to work at the convention center:
1. Teamsters / 2. Carpenters / 3. Stagehands
Off Site Venues
- How many off site venues within walking distance can host up to 2,000 people?
GM World, Hart Plaza, Campus Martius Park, Ford Field, Comerica Park, Fox Theatre, The Fillmore, Detroit Opera House, Cobo Square (outside space at convention center) and Beacon Park.
- How many off site venues within a ten-minute bus transfer can host up to 2,000 people? 20
- How many restaurants are within walking distance of the convention center? 150+
- Can you list 3-5 local attractions and there whereabouts?
- Motown Museum — New Center-3 miles from convention center. At the end of the M1 rail line
- Detroit Institute of Arts — Midtown about 2 miles from convention center. Also on the M1 rail line
- Theatres — Several theatres in downtown and midtown anywhere from a couple blocks to 3 miles from convention center
- Casinos — Three casinos in downtown (which is about 1.1 sq. miles)
- Sports — All 4 professional sports teams play downtown. All three stadiums are walkable to each other